Happy Mother’s Day! Lately we’ve found ourselves reflecting on the ways our mothers and mother figures have shaped us; how their wisdom, love, and care always seem to find their way into life’s little details—including a great meal.
In celebration of Mother’s Day, we’re sharing our very favorite recipes homemade with love by the Rainbo moms. From Slovenian streusel desserts to a classic chicken curry, there’s a little something here for everyone to discover.
Chicken Marbella Recipe
½ cup extra virgin olive oil (I used @acropolisorganics)
½ cup good red wine vinegar
1½ cups large pitted organic prunes
1 cup large green olives, pitted, such as castelvetrano
½ cup capers, including the juices (3½ ounces)
6 bay leaves
1½ heads of garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and minced
¼ cup dried oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 (4-pound) chickens, backs removed and cut in 8 pieces
1/4 cup coconut sugar, lightly packed
1 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
Combine the olive oil, vinegar, prunes, olives, capers, bay leaves, garlic, oregano, 2 tablespoons salt, and 2 teaspoons pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the marinade. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally to be sure the marinade is getting into all of the chicken pieces.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Place the chicken, skin side up, along with the marinade in one layer in a large (15 × 18-inch) roasting pan, sprinkle with the sugar, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper, and pour the wine around (not over!) the chicken. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 145 degrees. Remove the pan from the oven, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Transfer the chicken, prunes, and olives to a serving platter, sprinkle with salt, and serve hot with the pan juices. Enjoy!
*recipe adapted from @thebarefootcontessa
Yellow Chicken Curry
Freshly ground black pepper
0.75 teaspoon salt
0.75 teaspoon ground turmeric
1.5 tablespoon yellow curry powder
0.5 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups cubed sweet potato)
1.5 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
3 tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter (or cashew butter)
0.38 cup chicken broth (or water)
1.5 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
1.5 yellow onion, diced
1.5 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1.5 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
4.5 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium carrots, sliced
Add 20 min before serving
1.5 red bell pepper, julienned
1.5 cup frozen peas
Fresh diced cilantro for garnish
Rice and/or naan bread
- First, add a little olive or coconut oil to a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl or plate.
- Add in a little more olive or coconut oil to your pot and add in the following veggies: garlic, ginger,sweet potatoes, carrot and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Next, add in spices for 30 seconds before adding in coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, soy sauce,salt and pepper, chicken; stir well to combine. You may need to add 1/2 cup-1 cup more broth if necessary. Allow to cook 10 minutes Then stir, red bell pepper and peas; simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or naan.
- In a large slow cooker add coconut milk, broth (or water) peanut butter, soy sauce, garlic and freshly grated ginger. Whisk to combine, then stir in spices: curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, pepper and salt.
- Add chicken breast to slow cooker followed by sweet potato, carrots and onions. Gently stir so that the sauces covers all of the chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.Remove chicken with slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker.
- Before you're ready to serve, stir in julienned red bell peppers and peas, cover and cook on high for another 10-20 minutes until bell peppers have tenderized a bit.
- Serve as is with a side of naan bread or with brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice.
Slovenian Apple štruklji
- 400 g flour
- 80 g butter
- 60 g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 g instant yeast
- 6 g salt
- 2 dl milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp rum
- 100 g butter at room temperature
- 280 g ground walnuts
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 4 egg whites
- 40 g bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp rum
- 2 tsp vanilla paste
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Bread crumbs with butter
- 100 g butter
- 60 g bread crumbs
- 750 g apples
- 150 g prunes
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 75 g sugar
- 1.5 l water
- In a bowl, combine flour and yeast.
- Heat the milk, salt, sugar, and butter in a sauce pan until butter is melted.
- Add lemon zest, and rum to the milk mixture and stir well.
- Once the milk mixture is sufficiently cool, add the egg yolks and mix.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and knead by hand or using a mixer until the dough is soft and elastic. It should not stick to your hands. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size (about 40 minutes).
- Beat the butter until fluffy.
- Add the ground walnuts, bread crumbs, sour cream, rum, vanilla paste, ground cinnamon and continue mixing.
- Separately beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Slowly fold the whipped egg whites into the walnut mixture.
- Split the dough into two.
- Roll out each piece into a 30x40 cm rectangle.
- Spread the walnut filling evenly over the dough.
- Roll up the dough.
Feta and Mint, Green Bean Salad
1 1/2 pounds blanched green beans (5 minutes), chilled
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
1 cup toasted almond slices
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup crumbled good feta cheese
Combine beans and other ingredients with vinaigrette at last minute so colour holds.
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
Gluten Free Banana Bread
2 cups Gluten Free Oatmeal
3 very ripe bananas
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Maldon salt (to top)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2/3 cup chocolate chips
Handful crushed walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 and spray your pan with either Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
Make oat flour by placing oatmeal into a blender and blend for 1 min until it resembles flour
Measure our 2 cups of oat flour and place that in a medium sized bowl, whisk in cinnamon,baking soda, powder, salt and set aside
In separate large bowl beat bananas, coconut sugar, vanilla and oil for 2 minutes until its smooth and creamy then slowly add oat flour mix until its fully combined then you can add the chocolate chips and walnuts
Pour the batter into pan and sprinkle oatmeal and some Maldon salt on top
Bake for 30-45 minutes, whenever the knife comes out clean
Cool on counter for 10-15 minutes and enjoy!