So you've started making your own nut milk, and after straining your rich & creamy nut beverage you're leftover with handfuls of nut pulp. Waste not! We recycle our nut pulp by dehydrating it (using an oven or dehydrator) and turning it into a crunchy recycled granola.
Add a bit of coconut oil and coconut chips to replenish the fats lost to the nut milk, plus some seeds, dried fruit, and a sweetener of choice and you've got a recycled granola that is grain-free, gluten-free and delicious.
Seeds and nuts contain the starting materials necessary to develop into complex plants, and because of this they are extremely nutritious. They are great sources of fibre, healthy fats and protein which keep you full longer and help stabilize blood sugar. The vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants found in these ingredients also make for a super body-loving snack.
We add our high-antioxidant and heart-happy friend, cacao nibs, for a touch of pure cacao-bean medicine in each bite.
(but you can always shake it up!)
- 1 cup of nut pulp **
- 3/4 cup toasted coconut chips
- 1/3 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp of hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup dried goji berries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cacao nibs
- generous pinch of sea salt
- 4-6 tbsp forest juice (depending on your preference)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
** We like to use the left over nut pulp from our homemade batches of nut milk. We often do a milk of half almonds half cashews. Save the pulp, dehydrate it in a dehydrator or the oven (300°C for 15-25 minutes, stirring around the pulp every 10 minutes). If you do not have nut pulp to use, oatmeal may be substituted.
- Mix the melted coconut oil, forest juice maple syrup, and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Add all of the ingredients into the bowl of liquid, and toss all together.
- Bake in the oven at 325°C for 15-20 minutes or until done, stirring halfway. Keep an eye on the goji berries so that they don't burn (or add them at the end!).
- Enjoy with coconut yogurt, on top of pancakes, acai bowls, with the original nut milk, or alone for a crunchy snack!